What's new

Who Said Hyphens Are Worth Nothing

snoopy

Top Contributor
Thanks David; just what I was looking for

The results are not what I was expecting to see though

Think it is not reliable, only way to really monitor things is look at the same names selling in similar fashion. The obvious thing about the graph is that domain "values" are supposedly well above 2007 levels, most who bought domains at that time would know the opposite is true. I think the issue comes from mainly tracking low probability enduser type sales which have increased but what a domain can be sold for here and now is nothing like it was during the last boom. It is totally different to say stocks where everything sells almost all the time and a graph has clear meaning.

Rhythm

Top Contributor
Not sure what you are talking about here, to lose 1% of sales they likely need to lose 1% of traffic.

Basically, yes - assuming the conversion rate of the hyphenless traffic is equal to the conversion rate of the hyphenated traffic.

I just looked at it from an alternative perspective where the conversion rate isn't assumed to be the same.

shags38

Top Contributor
Good luck to them for ranking....but it is unlikely to have long terms legs because Google is constantly trying to deindex sites like this it and revenue from affiliate links isn't going to make the site owners competitive in any way once the free traffic dries up.

My understanding is that Google recently commented on hyphen sites and in essence indicated they had no issues with them as long as the rest of the aspects (content, links etc etc) were ok. Their exception was double dashes, e.g. car--insurance, which they will specifically target as being "non quality search returns".

IMO Google cannot clamp down or penalize in any way a domain with hyphens, i.e. single hyphens between words, because that is exactly how the robots see the domain in any case. CarInsuranceQuotes.com is seen by the robots as Car-Insurance-Quotes, so is CarInsurance-Quotes or Car-InsuranceQuotes ... right? Google would have to change the whole HTML/URL system used globally and that wouldn't work.

Do an Adwords Keyword search and include hyphens and you get the same results as typing in spaces (Car Insurance Quotes vs Car-Insurance-Quotes) :)

As a domain for a business based on the subject matter of the domain I agree that hyphens don't really work however for making money from advertising or AM they are terrific, as per some examples in this thread.

cheers,
Mike

neddy

Top Contributor
I'm having a well deserved long weekend away, and I'm over at beautiful Magnetic Island.

Just 15 minutes by ferry from Townsville.

The reason I am posting that little bit of trivia here is that when I put the term "Magnetic Island" into Google, guess what domain ranks number 1?

magnetic-island.com.au

:D

And it's a less than attractive website as well (imho).

Anyway, just to make you even more envious, the sun is shining, and it's 30 degrees.

findtim

Top Contributor
hey ned, whats that picture look like at LOW TIDE ? i've been to Maggie and it was 30 metres of mud before i got to water?

but 30C, YUM, i miss it being in melbourne

tim

johno69

Top Contributor
guess what domain ranks number 1?

magnetic-island.com.au

Did you notice the magneticisland.com.au domain is redirected to Queensland Holidays, which sits 3rd ?

I was of the impression a simple redirected URL wouldn't hold any value..

I'm sure they have more going for them, but it would assist the hyphen domain but not really being any competition for it.

findtim

Top Contributor
Did you notice the magneticisland.com.au domain is redirected to Queensland Holidays, which sits 3rd ?

I was of the impression a simple redirected URL wouldn't hold any value..

I'm sure they have more going for them, but it would assist the hyphen domain but not really being any competition for it.

i don't think you can safely say the MI com au redirect has any relevance to the qld holiday site, i think thats a lazy strategy by qld holidays and would be much better if they just had at least a micro site on it and made it rank.

they are assumming people will type that domain directly into the URL bar and in my experience ( don't slag me this is face to face with people research ... they just don't do it)

tim

neddy

Top Contributor
hey ned, whats that picture look like at LOW TIDE ? i've been to Maggie and it was 30 metres of mud before i got to water?

When you attach a picture of yourself to your resume (or whatever), do you show yourself in the best light?

Or do you use the picture that shows you hungover and unkempt?

Both the same person - just caught at different times of the day.

:p

snoopy

Top Contributor
they are assumming people will type that domain directly into the URL bar and in my experience ( don't slag me this is face to face with people research ... they just don't do it)

They will if the most popular site is on the hyphen. Maybe one day they'll do something with it or maybe they won't, but right now they are enjoying free lunches courtesy of the other site.

findtim

Top Contributor
When you attach a picture of yourself to your resume (or whatever), do you show yourself in the best light?

Or do you use the picture that shows you hungover and unkempt?

Both the same person - just caught at different times of the day.

:p

haven't got a resume ! , and have a look at my profile picture, i'm 3 pints into some fine guiness in a salamanca hobart pub after having steak and guiness pie , anyone want my recipe?

tim

acheeva

Top Contributor
i'm 3 pints into some fine guiness in a salamanca hobart pub after having steak and guiness pie , anyone want my recipe?

tim

Memories@!

Cant feel your toes (or your legs on a bad day) but the taste buds are working overtime

Well; at least until the guiness takes over completely

Great Japanese at the end of that strip too... (at least last time I was their)

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member