What's new

Favourite WordPress Plugins

findtim

Top Contributor
Here is an example that I am seeing with my eyes shut:
"exclude pages from navigation http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/exclude-pages/
does what it says, i use it for pages i only want to have linked from an article/page and not show on the nav menu"

Why use a plugin when you can do exactly that using appearance.menus?
Lets not forget that plugins can be troublesome in the future if the author no longer supports it and maybe it becomes incompatible with a later version of WP

i'll concede authors nolonger support plugins but who is to say wordpress will also not do the same to some codex? if you look at CSS there is now so much crap trying to cross bowser it sometimes becomes pointless.

as for appearance.menus thats cool when using custom menus but in my case when i have a client that only knows how to type an email teaching them custom menus that isn't worth it, but if i say "just tick this button" then they are happy.

i suppose the bottom line is its what you are use to, the clients skill level and the clients needs.

tim

findtim

Top Contributor
+1 managewp - it has saved me a stack of time plus all sites, plugins, themes etc are always up to date. No more logging in to 50+ websites whenever a wordpress update come out

i've just been informed by my overseas programmer that this system is prone to hacking unless you have very good security. i haven't had a chance to ask him the level of security needed

tim

chris

Top Contributor
Hi Tim, can you get more info from them or get them to email me? I'd be interested to know about this.

Cheers,
Chris

johno69

Top Contributor
this system is prone to hacking unless you have very good security.

The fact that they suggest disabling the plugin if you are not going to be using it "Due to security risks" is cause for alarm in itself I guess.

Basically tells you that you are leaving the door open with their worker plugin installed.

Last edited:

findtim

Top Contributor
its hard to get more info as his english dubious at time so we often have to explain things many times before geting it right eg: he stuffed up something once and emailed me "it hurts my heart ..." which i took as him apologising only to find out a few weeks later he has a heart condition !
he said " but i told you it hurts my heart"

i will ask however and see if there is an easy answer.

i think johno69's reply sums it up.

tim

findtim

Top Contributor
heres the exact words he replied to me.

I know this site, actually I am a member of it when they in beta version because I buy their other products before, the problem is -- this area is very "sensitive", it is the goal of hackers, if you have not a high level on security area, don't touch it...

tim

chris

Top Contributor
Cool, thanks for the heads up guys, much appreciated. I'm keen on knowing more about the security of the worker plugin. Will look into it and post back here.

Cheers,
Chris

findtim

Top Contributor
here's his further reply in full

Hi Tim,
Thanks for the reply, hackers will try to analyze your scripts and hacked all of these sites, actually on the internet there are some hackers use auto scan script to find out server which is running unsafe scripts.
If you only use this script, not try to develop your business version, so that's should be more safe, but in general this kind of scripts use xml rpc method, there were some report said their xmlrpc.php being exploited, also the most of security scripts only protect login form -- x.domain.com/wp-login.php, not protect xml rpc, a option of my secure plugin is close xml rpc, because it is easy to write a auto script to "guess" the password, if you use admin as your administrator username, in this case, if you have an automatically backup script, it should be more safe. But if you are try to build site groups, use this kind of services have a big help of course -- the problem is balance and the risk, from my eyes, if you build more than 30 sites, use it is a good choice, just need to install some other secure plugin -- but this will caused another problem, if so your site will be more "heavy", also you need check your site per week to find out are there any site is running fail, in this case, backup is very important, thanks.
Best Regards,
Tomas

helloworld

Top Contributor
Anyone know of a plugin to strip all post titles regardless if they've been entered ?

It's for auhiphop.com. As you can see I've got a small duplicate issue.

helloworld

Top Contributor

Ash

Top Contributor
You guys might want to check out InfiniteWP, same thing as ManageWP but it's self hosted and zero cost. There are some cool paid addons being developed too which look kinda cool.

Hey johno69 - would you recommend the premium addons offer they have on at the moment, or have you stuck with the free option?

Cheers.

johno69

Top Contributor
Hey johno69 - would you recommend the premium addons offer they have on at the moment

Highly recommend them. I bought them as soon as they were available.

Scheduled backups to Dropbox / Amazon S3 are great.

Even more so considering VentraIP now charge $49.95 to restore a back ;).

The upcoming addons look great too.

Blue Wren

Top Contributor
You guys might want to check out InfiniteWP, same thing as ManageWP but it's self hosted and zero cost. There are some cool paid addons being developed too which look kinda cool.

Hey johno69 - would you recommend the premium addons offer they have on at the moment, or have you stuck with the free option?

Cheers.

Highly recommend them. I bought them as soon as they were available.

Scheduled backups to Dropbox / Amazon S3 are great.

Even more so considering VentraIP now charge $49.95 to restore a back ;).

The upcoming addons look great too.

Thanks mate - will sign up before their introductory special winds up.

I just purchased. Now to work out how to install it.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member