What's new

Unrelated blogging

helloworld

Top Contributor
A client of mine has hired a friend for content marketing. Except the marketing revolves around sending newsletters on unrelated topics. Copies of these articles are then posted to their blog.

Client is a trade.

Recent articles include:

Lifestyle Tips
Cleaning tips
Things to do with kids

etc etc. They basically have zero relevance to actual website topic.

What are peoples thoughts on this type of blogging. Their reasoning, is something that I had discussed with them in the past about becoming an authority site, but I personally think they may have lost the plot a little bit.

Keen to get peoples thoughts on:

Could this potentially harm the site?
Dud traffic ?
etc etc

helloworld

Top Contributor
Yeah I agree with that, Johno.

There reasoning is that from a "psychologits pov" is that this is how they want to connect with their audience.

Tho I am more worried about ranking factors.

James

Top Contributor
I saw a real estate site do a community blog to reel in geo searches for that region. I don't see a problem if it's all related to your business and region in some way. Seemed to be working for them.

Relevant on topic content is still highly important but.

findtim

Top Contributor
the FEW i subscribe to give me what i expect them to, and i ACCEPT them pitching me related PAID services.

any of them go outside that square and they are GONE, i don't unsubscribe i just block, block the email and block the URL.

i would subscribe to a photographers website and then accept getting "how to clean your teeth" tips !!!

you need to tell the client they have false numbers, which really gets back to conversion rates. ( but i know you know this james )

---------------------
story:
today, yes today, client tells me to change their website homepage layout and i say " this is a bad move " , they say "this is what we want"

basically this was a GREAT example of a larger business then i normally deal with, they have a new "marketing manager" which means that person has to justify thier job and most of these people do it by changing things, changing things that are not broken !!!!

how i then solve it is say " no worries" ......... and then wait till they come back and ask me why they are no longer ranking, why sales have dropped and why THEIR boss is kicking their bum.

small/med businesses are much better at taking advice, they have GREAT hands on knowledge of their business and customers and are easier to work with.

tim

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member