What's new

Optometrist.com.au

DavidL

Top Contributor
Few other decent ones too - always intrigues me how whenever a great name drops, the quality of the other names also seem to be higher. The good names seem to group together.

Best example was a few weeks back when shoppingcart.com.au, villas.com.au and aromatherapy.com.au all on the same day (but different registrars, registrants etc)

DomainNames

Top Contributor
the plural is always worth more IMO. I wonder what www.omg.com.au / Faifrax Media would sell www.optometrists.com.au for or how much revenue they make from it.

Surprised to see OMG never buy more names like this at the auctions etc. Surely they have the money to. If they dont think its worth it why?

It raises the question are you better to pay $1000 for a name and get $2000 for it later or are you better to buy qty 50 x $20 names at ($20 each at ventraip.com.au) and develop, monetise or sell them later?

Last edited:

DavidL

Top Contributor
the plural is always worth more IMO.

Not always...for example if you were an end-user, an optometrist, you would rather have the singular for your website & email wouldn't you?

In this case the singular is far better going by the search volumes:

Exacts:

Singular - 5,400
Plural - 480

Broad:

Singular - 40,500
Plural - 9,900

Perhaps it's a comparison thing. when people are looking for a credit card they may search plural as they want to see lots of options to compare. However if you need an optometrist, you're less likely to expect of search for a big list... maybe?

DomainNames

Top Contributor
Not always...for example if you were an end-user, an optometrist, you would rather have the singular for your website & email wouldn't you?

In this case the singular is far better going by the search volumes:

Exacts:

Singular - 5,400
Plural - 480

Broad:

Singular - 40,500
Plural - 9,900

Perhaps it's a comparison thing. when people are looking for a credit card they may search plural as they want to see lots of options to compare. However if you need an optometrist, you're less likely to expect of search for a big list... maybe?

I suppose it depends what you are buying it for. How many bidders at netfleet and drop at the moment would be an optometrist and how many would not be but are bidding to buy it for a portal , directory or monetisation site.

personally I think the plural is worth lot more and offers far better investment and development potential in most cases. job.com.au verses jobs.com.au car.com.au verses cars.com.au doctor.com.au verses doctors.com.au optometrist.com.au verses optometrists.com.au truck.com.au verses trucks.com.au scooter verses scooters.com.au

That being said still obviously a good name and bad for the owner to let expire!

Last edited:

DavidL

Top Contributor
And as for OMG yeah... it's strange. They don't sell but they don't buy.

For example they probably wouldn't sell optometrists.com.au for $20K but I bet you they wouldn't buy the superior optometrist.com.au for $5K at the same time. Doesn't make sense.

Investors need to both buy and sell to be successful IMO. Focusing on either buying or selling is fine but to do neither is just treading water.

DavidL

Top Contributor
I supose it depends what you are buying it for. How many bidders at netfleet and drop at the moment would be an optometrist and how many would not be but are bidding to buy it for a portal , directory or monetisation site.

personally I think the plural is worth lot more and offers far better investment and development potential in most cases. job.com.au verses jobs.com.au car.com.au verses cars.com.au doctor.com.au verses doctors.com.au optometrist.com.au verses optometrists.com.au

I know what you mean - personally as a developer with an eye to monetising I tend to prefer plural too. Feels more natural & lends itself to a comparison or directory site.

However with this one the numbers are hard to ignore even for a developer...

James

Top Contributor
And as for OMG yeah... it's strange. They don't sell but they don't buy.

For example they probably wouldn't sell optometrists.com.au for $20K but I bet you they wouldn't buy the superior optometrist.com.au for $5K at the same time. Doesn't make sense.

Investors need to both buy and sell to be successful IMO. Focusing on either buying or selling is fine but to do neither is just treading water.

Yeah but with so many quality domains in stock and domains waiting to be developed they are probably in no need to buy and sell.

I mean OMG have sales teams chasing CPA's and CPM's all day, that is where they make their money not off selling a 20k domain they can make 20k a month of a domain in advertising revenue.

DomainNames

Top Contributor
You should buy BendigoBank.net.au - then you can pay for all your other purchases. ;) Ha ha!

BendigoBank.net.au has got "complaint" and Policy Delete warnings all over it flashing brightly. Hopefully no one wastes their money unless they are Bendigo Bank

Last edited:

GerBot

I think of OMG as the Royal family of Aussie Domains.
Just like the royals in the UK they own lots of land but only buy and sell on the rare occasion.

does not make them the most money but it does keep the 'royal' feeling.

snoopy

Top Contributor
the plural is always worth more IMO. I wonder what www.omg.com.au / Faifrax Media would sell www.optometrists.com.au for or how much revenue they make from it.

Surprised to see OMG never buy more names like this at the auctions etc. Surely they have the money to. If they dont think its worth it why?

It raises the question are you better to pay $1000 for a name and get $2000 for it later or are you better to buy qty 50 x $20 names at ($20 each at ventraip.com.au) and develop, monetise or sell them later?

Varies from name to name in my view, especially when the singular would form a strong brand, eg,

mall.com versus malls.com
property.com.au versus properties.com.au
tin.com versus tins.com

For straight up product names (esp two word) I'd say the plural is typically better,

redshirt.com versus redshirts.com
computer.com.au versus computers.com.au

James

Top Contributor
"optometrist" is easily a better keyword then "optometrists".

I mean think about what you can do with "optometrist" over "optometrists".

I think we may see 10k+ today on this possibly more.

snoopy

Top Contributor
"optometrist" is easily a better keyword then "optometrists".

I mean think about what you can do with "optometrist" over "optometrists".

Agree for this case, I think the singular suits an online store. The plural sounds like something that would advertising based. Likely to be a lot more money in the former in my view.

DomainNames

Top Contributor
Agree for this case, I think the singular suits an online store. The plural sounds like something that would advertising based. Likely to be a lot more money in the former in my view.

The good thing about this forum is it makes one think of what others would invest in and you can open your mind to others experience and opinions. Will start buying more singulars now but will find it hard to change our thinking that plurals is not better.. time will tell.... maybe just get both whenever possible is the answer :)

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member