What's new

Electricity.com.au dropping Friday

Lorenzo

Top Contributor
I can. And I can also assure you, we did not pay quite that much.

:D Well, I would have never expected the buyer (or the seller) to hang around here. Do you work for Fairfax, right?

Rumors at that time also mentioned that because of the past AUDA law, basically the transaction was wrapped in something else to bypass the rules. (sale of whole business including the website).

It would be interesting to know how well the site is performing, given the fact that the online job market was already very competitive.

Cheers

cherrytron

Top Contributor
:D Well, I would have never expected the buyer (or the seller) to hang around here. Do you work for Fairfax, right?
I was BDM for Boomerang/OMG before it was sold to FXJ.

Rumors at that time also mentioned that because of the past AUDA law, basically the transaction was wrapped in something else to bypass the rules. (sale of whole business including the website).
You are correct sir, that was the rule at the time, a domain name could not be sold, but could be acquired with a business. But if the rest of the business gets thrown in to a skip, surely it puts the 'sale value' on the only good asset they have left :)

It would be interesting to know how well the site is performing, given the fact that the online job market was already very competitive.
It was doing extremely well, I dare say at #2 in Google they are still doing very well with it.

DomainNames

Top Contributor
fairfax shares where $5 years ago before the internet.. when the internet came they droped to under $1. This is why they have invested so much in the internet. The internet works and if you are not online you wont be around for long.. Just look at why Geoff Harvey is whinging so much at harvey Norman... who wants to pay 100% more these days for the same product.. who wants a newspaper thats not live and interactive

Shane

Top Contributor
fairfax shares where $5 years ago before the internet.. when the internet came they droped to under $1. This is why they have invested so much in the internet. The internet works and if you are not online you wont be around for long.. Just look at why Geoff Harvey is whinging so much at harvey Norman... who wants to pay 100% more these days for the same product.. who wants a newspaper thats not live and interactive

I don't know what Geoff Harvey would be whinging about, surely a lower GST threshold on imports doesn't affect his musical career?

Oh you mean Gerry Harvey... ;)

With regards to your comment "if you are not online you wont be around for long" I would have to disagree. I have quite a few clients who run very successful businesses and don't even use email, let alone have a website.

It's a big world out there, and there is more to it than just the internet.

cherrytron

Top Contributor
I have quite a few clients who run very successful businesses and don't even use email, let alone have a website.

Are they afraid of even greater success? Afraid of more money and new clients?

It's funny to even talk about a business like this, when you have clowns toting that "if you are not on facebook you are not taking full advantage of the interbutz"

Was it Gates that said something like "in the year 2000 there will be 2 types of business, those with a website and those who are out of business" ?

Sure, 2000 might have been a bit of a stretch, but eventually I think this will be more true.

I personally refuse to even eat at a restaurant who cant buy a $20 domain and put their menu online - IMO even a scanned JPG of your menu is better than no presence at all.

Bacon Farmer

Top Contributor
I personally refuse to even eat at a restaurant who cant buy a $20 domain and put their menu online

Thats bullshit. You've eaten at every restaurant within a 5km radius of Racecourse Rd even if they don't have a website. Make it 10km if they have bacon on the menu.

Lorenzo

Top Contributor
I was BDM for Boomerang/OMG before it was sold to FXJ.

You are correct sir, that was the rule at the time, a domain name could not be sold, but could be acquired with a business. But if the rest of the business gets thrown in to a skip, surely it puts the 'sale value' on the only good asset they have left :)

It was doing extremely well, I dare say at #2 in Google they are still doing very well with it.

Many thanks for the answers. :)

How come did you leave OMG if you don't mind me asking?

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member