What's new

auDA Media Release: Should .au be opened up for direct registration?

snoopy

Top Contributor
Looks like AUDA will keep dragging this idea back out until it comes in. Bad for the namespace, bad for domainers, good for AUDA's & Ausregistries bank balance.

elbranch

Top Contributor
The momentum builds.

It's all smoke and mirrors now because the only real question which needs to be answered is: will the change mean more money for AuDA? And the answer of course is "Yes".

Honan

Top Contributor
I believe the choice for me to vent was monkey survey or email
I chose the monkey
I am not clear as to why I should object to individual Australians being given an opportunity to register goodURLbadURL.au without the need to declare they want an ABN to make a profit.
I can concede that AUDA and Ausregistry might have an interest in making money

elbranch

Top Contributor
I chose the monkey
I am not clear as to why I should object to individual Australians being given an opportunity to register goodURLbadURL.au without the need to declare they want an ABN to make a profit.
I am not sure, but you seem to be buying into AUDA's strategy of conflating two separate issues here. NZ never had any onerous restrictions of domain name ownership so it is possible to not have restrictions of ownership and maintain the current structure.

But AUDA might be relying on people wanting to remove the ownership restrictions, if that is the case, and then just assuming this also means opening up the .au space for direct registration.

It's also funny (in a sad kind of way) how we didn't follow NZ's lead for the past few decades regarding no ownership restrictions but now that NZ has done something which if followed in AUS will make AUDA money all of a sudden NZ is used as an authority on the way things should be.

elbranch

Top Contributor
Who will get to own sydney.au ?

Will it be the current owners of:

sydney.com.au
sydney.net.au
sydney.org.au
sydney.edu.au

The only really fair way to decide (for AUDA) is to auction it off.

snoopy

Top Contributor
I chose the monkey

I'd say the issue is AUDA red tape. The restrictions on .com.au need to go rather than than alternate coming in,

In my view the justifications in the paper are weak,
-First following the uk and new zealand, why? Both those countries have comparatively weak namespaces.
-The bit about new tlds doesn't have much basis either, because those new tlds look to be failing.

At least though they acknowledge .melbourrne and .sydney to be duds,

.melbourne and .sydney – have had a low take-up since launching in the past six months (at the time of writing there are currently approximately 5,900 registrations in .melbourne and 3,800 registrations in .sydney

snoopy

Top Contributor
.Melbourne and .Sydney marketing meeting
"Hey let's charge double for extensions no-ones ever heard of!"
reply ... "Brilliant! ,,, I'll get to it"

I'm there Spacey, I can imagine Ausregistry sitting down with the Lord Mayor telling him how well this is all going.

Sir .melbourne has grown by 5000% in 6 months! We are nearly double the Sydney total! Those millions you paid us was well spent.

[Ausregistry staff pour Lord Mayor another glass of Bollinger].

Sir, I want to tell you about a new proposal.....how would you feel about .mel?

Erwin

Top Contributor
Supposing .au opens up, and the .com.au/net.au'ers were allowed to have 1st preference, by having two domains might
Who will get to own sydney.au ?

Will it be the current owners of:

sydney.com.au
sydney.net.au
sydney.org.au
sydney.edu.au

The only really fair way to decide (for AUDA) is to auction it off.

It would seem the most logical step to take, should it happen..
Then.. there's the issue of ™ holders to condend with also!..

Erwin

Top Contributor
Here's a question:
Do you 'expect' to see the same business appear when direct navigating/searching?
Shoes.uk v shoes.co.uk
Shirts.nz v shirts.co.nz?
And assume they are the same business entity?
The namespace is changing and ppls mindset is changing.. Is consumer confusion the same today, as it was say 3-5yrs ago? I wonder..

Just putting it out there..

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members