What's new

Who Bought What On The Drop?

Chris.C

Top Contributor
I was just wondering how come there isn't a "Who Bought What on the Drop" style thread, given that there is a "Recent Registrations" thread?

I really like watching the auctions and I'd be nice to know who was buying what and why.

DavidL

Top Contributor
I don't think hge meant it like that spacey - I think it was meant like the recent reg thread. "I snapped XYZ today on the drops..."

I agree great idea for a sticky

James

Top Contributor
I have bidded on about 4 in the last 2 weeks, Only won 2 but.

Just testing the waters at the moment, I think one was a decent pick up as it was once a big site with alot of SEO/link building done, few people had a bid on it. The other I am a bit iffy about but its a good keyword domain with a industry I know a bit about.

Drop is addicting but I need to keep my domain numbers low, can not get carried away with ideas...

For me I plan to develop every thing, I do not like parking domains.

Last edited:

Chris.C

Top Contributor
people also like their privacy
I'm not suggesting people that don't want to disclose what they bought have to or anything.

I don't think hge meant it like that spacey - I think it was meant like the recent reg thread. "I snapped XYZ today on the drops..."
Yeah. It'd just be a place to discuss what you bought in the expiry auctions, why you bought it and what you plan to do with it.

Plus it'd be nice to know who are the players out bidding me all the time...

:D

The other I am a bit iffy about but its a good keyword domain with a industry I know a bit about.
I also am tending to focus my bidding to domains in industries I know about or already have domains or sites in. Probably because it's lower risk because I understand the competition and where to make money in the industry, plus they are industries I have expert knowledge in which is always good for creating content.

I picked up another 3 domains today at drop, including HairRemovalClinics.com.au (I don't know if anyone here was bidding on that).

:p

As for why I bought it, I valued it at around $150 - $250 so I was comfortable paying $89 +reg for it, but more importantly the name suits the style of site I try to setup (info/business directory) and it's a reasonably large and relatively well paying niche. I also own HairRemovalCream.com.au so if I found a buyer for either of these, hopefully I'd be able to kill two birds with one stone and sell both of them at the same time.

Last edited:

Shane

Top Contributor
I picked up SMSF.net.au yesterday. Being a financial adviser, creating a site on self managed super funds (for which SMSF is the common abbreviation) seems like a good idea.

Chris.C

Top Contributor
I picked up SMSF.net.au yesterday. Being a financial adviser, creating a site on self managed super funds (for which SMSF is the common abbreviation) seems like a good idea.
Makes sense to me, and in that industry if you are a small business every little bit of SEO advantage will help.

Can I ask though, did you buy it in a expiry auction? or did you just register it?

soj

Founder
Ive been pretty quiet on the Drop recently, picked up a couple today including 3K.com.au, cant go past a 2 character domain, they are my weak spot haha. Was just outbid on HotChocolate.net.au too...

Expired Domains are very addictive, ive picked up over 100 now from Drop, they sure are taking a nice chunk of my cash haha.

Chris.C

Top Contributor
Expired Domains are very addictive!
Tell me about it! It's worse than ebay!

I should buy DropaholicsAnonymous.com.au and SnappaholicsAnonymos.com.au then setup a rehab facility.

Do any of the Pacific Octane guys hang out on here? They outbid me on farms.net! Grrr...

:D

Chris.C

Top Contributor
Well another expiry auction has finished, and once again I seem to be a little poorer than I was prior to 1pm.

I only bought the one domain today - CapitalGains.com.au - for $111 +reg. Plans for it will centre around creating an information site and potentially attaching a finance/investing blog to it.

I was also bidding on LegalRights.com.au but couldn't justify going to three figures.

I normally am not comfortable paying more than two figures for domains, but as I mentioned yesterday, I am more focused on industries where I am experienced, and given I studied Economic and Business Management at uni and still participate regular in Australian investment forums I thought it qualified.

:rolleyes:

soj

Founder
I picked up SearchHistory.com.au and BathDesign.com.au for $1 each, a family friend plumber wants a website for his bathroom renovations, so trying to pickup some domains for them. Also Search History should be alright to sell some software which deletes your browsers search history from all those people that don't want people to know what naughty sites they were looking up :p

Chris.C

Top Contributor
I had my eye on it but forgot I had an appointment at 1pm and had to leave in a rush! That'll teach me plan ahead I reckon in regards to proxy bids :)
If it makes you feel any better. I've lost count the number of times I've forgotten to bid and come back sometime after 1pm only to realise that the domains I put on my watch list sold for prices that were a fraction of what I was willing to pay.

What's even worse is when you actually do make it to the auction on time have all your proxies ready to go with a plan to bid with a couple of seconds to go only to realise that when you click bid an error comes up saying you have to login to bid! And by the time you work your way out of a confused stupor the auction has closed.

:rolleyes:

Chris.C

Top Contributor
So did anyone pick anything up today?

I was the "price setter" on three domains (as in was the second highest bidder) but unfortunately wasn't a "buyer" today.

Chris.C

Top Contributor
Specialmoments.com.au and divorced.com.au for me today..
I was also bidding on divorced. From memory I was the price setter in that auction.

Nice name though - really good number of phrase matches giving you lots of topics to publishing content about.

What's your plan for it?

Vicstar

Well done cncventure & Chumby!

I don't know whether to laugh or cry when making an appt/booking and get asked "so how does 1pm sound??" grrrr.

I know I have my Mobile when I'm out but it's failed me too many times in the past (lengthy scrolling issues on Netfleet + won't even connect to Drop sadly .. nor Ebay for that matter!). Had high hopes of happily whizzing around online after replacing my crappy Nokia with a new samsung HD icon - only to find out it was a nokia in disguise... Anyway, it just means no more lengthy lunch outings for me :eek:

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spacemo