What's new

web dev 2013

findtim

Top Contributor
WOW, how fast things move these days, i'm doing a site right now which HAS TO BE, responsive design, iphone , ipad, EVERY browser compatible bla bla bla, the clients requests are the worst i have ever had, i thought i quoted a good price but am now saying to my self i should have gone double.

other desingers may say " yes i have been doing that for years" and thus my post.

where do you switch off ?

i've now gone to saying only the latest browser will be programmed for AND the browser version at the time of the contract, if firefox xhange something between 10/9/13 and 14/9/13 well then thats not my issue.

what do you do?

tim

FirstPageResults

Top Contributor
Usually anything greater than IE7 I will claim to support.

Sometimes a client really needs IE7 so I'll test to make sure functionality works and that CSS degrades gracefully (ie. rounded corners become square).

Generally don't test older versions of browsers other than IE, and the amount of testing depends on the complexity of the job, the importance of the client and their budget.

If you combine best practices with tools like Modernizr, jQuery, Bootstrap/Foundation etc then usually cross browser issues are kept to a minimum anyway.

findtim

Top Contributor
nice link FPR.

i cringe anytime a client says they use a MAC, its 100% i will have trouble with them, there is the left brain, right brain and the MAC brain !

YESTERDAY i was on the phone to a client who uses mac... why? "because its a much better laptop" so anyway we had an issue with image alignment so i asked her what browser she was using ?

"safari?" was the answer i got
"but i don't know what version, how do i find that"?

"its under help or about or something like that" waiting waiting waiting, finally the answer.

"ohh, her it is ......... chrome v29 "

i so wanted to say " ohh i see the problem..... you have no F'n clue do you"

tim

johno69

Top Contributor
waiting waiting waiting, finally the answer.

Team Viewer is your friend.

You have a problem viewing the site? No worries, I'll login remotely and troubleshoot the exact problem for you.

At that point you can see exactly what is going on.

findtim

Top Contributor
Team Viewer is your friend.

You have a problem viewing the site? No worries, I'll login remotely and troubleshoot the exact problem for you.

At that point you can see exactly what is going on.

WOW, thats great and super fast, i just installed it on 2 laptops here and it took 2 minutes before i was playing.

i use to use windows messenger but it was always slowwwwwwwwwww and people couldn't connect so i gave up.

another gem form johno69

thanks
tim

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics