What's new

WannaCry Fallout, Hosting companies going offline.

Christopher

Top Contributor
In the fallout from WannaCry Ransomware virus, some hosting companies, decided to pull their hardware offline, in order to prevent catestrophic failure of their systems, highlighting archaic hardware and software still being sold as new and perfromance systems.

One host in the UK, Fasthost, has copped a lot of flack, making the decision to pull their 2003 machines offline, which were backing up customers data. Naturally they now have a lot of angry customers, who weren't warned of the down time, going for up to 6 days without access.
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/05/17/fasthosts_wannacrypt_backups/

findtim

Top Contributor
most hosts promote 99.9% uptime guarantees so i can see so expensive outcomes.
i never state a guarantee, i tell them all about "zero day vulnerability" and 100% of them go SH*T.
i find best to promise less at the start and i back it up with "we are all in the same boat"

in the end someones making money out of it and already thinking of the next one !

tim

chris

Top Contributor

Blue Wren

Top Contributor
Vaccine
1. Go into your Windows folder, find Notepad.exe and create a copy of it.
2. Rename the copy perfc
3. Now the file has been created, right-click the file and select Properties, and check "Read-only."
You're now prtected against Petya

findtim

Top Contributor
reminds me of the netsky virus @ 2004, i was in cairns and i got it !! bloody computer would shut down in 28 seconds or something? , i rang a tec geek friend and he said " just start the computer and keep hitting F8 ?" or one of those keys, anyway that got me in and he told me how to fix it.

moral: they create these things but also build in a simple fix..........you just have to find it. its kinda the "i was only joking" after punching someone in the face.

the big question here is ........don't these people have a backup? and also don't you now how to just reboot the computer back to factory settings, yeh its a pain but i'd rather do that then pay a ransom.

you do have to admit a ransom paid in bitcoin is a bloody good idea !

tim

findtim

Top Contributor
also anyone reading that is new and wants to know more , search " zero day virus" , you'll find some interesting reading imo.
tim

rensit

Membership: Community
In the fallout from WannaCry Ransomware virus, some hosting companies, decided to pull their hardware offline, in order to prevent catestrophic failure of their systems, highlighting archaic hardware and software still being sold as new and perfromance systems.

One host in the UK, Fasthost, has copped a lot of flack, making the decision to pull their 2003 machines offline, which were backing up customers data. Naturally they now have a lot of angry customers, who weren't warned of the down time, going for up to 6 days without access.
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/05/17/fasthosts_wannacrypt_backups/

There is no excuse to use Windows 2003 servers today. Support ended on July 14, 2015. Those servers are running unprotected for nearly 2 years. It is not a matter if but when they get hacked. That company does not seem to take security seriously.
Security should be handled proactive and not reactive.
Insist you hosting company is running up-to date server software.

Christopher

Top Contributor
reminds me of the netsky virus @ 2004, i was in cairns and i got it !! bloody computer would shut down in 28 seconds or something? , i rang a tec geek friend and he said " just start the computer and keep hitting F8 ?" or one of those keys, anyway that got me in and he told me how to fix it.

moral: they create these things but also build in a simple fix..........you just have to find it. its kinda the "i was only joking" after punching someone in the face.

the big question here is ........don't these people have a backup? and also don't you now how to just reboot the computer back to factory settings, yeh its a pain but i'd rather do that then pay a ransom.

you do have to admit a ransom paid in bitcoin is a bloody good idea !

tim

Tim its encryption you wont be able to even see windows machine without a key to unencrypt. The windows default encryption leaves a copy of the keys in the SAM registry files, so each time you boot your boot loader can see windows and boot up. In this case it won't, see anything. So windows restore points wont work. You will need a backup in image file, and the image files need to be remote or external from your machine to not get encrypted as well. Something like Acronis true image. We have a great thread somewhere here on backup services.

Christopher

Top Contributor
There is no excuse to use Windows 2003 servers today. Support ended on July 14, 2015. Those servers are running unprotected for nearly 2 years. It is not a matter if but when they get hacked. That company does not seem to take security seriously.
Security should be handled proactive and not reactive.
Insist you hosting company is running up-to date server software.
That's so true, It should be alarm bells to any customer that is with them to get their backups and run to another company.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member