What's new

Sharp.net.au vs Sharp.com.au

Joel

Top Contributor
I'll get the ball rolling :)
Are you eluding to opening up of .au and who has first right of refusal?
Or simply that one business got the .com.au before another more well known business?

findtim

Top Contributor
its IMPORTANT to go to both websites i think before commenting
--------------------
but did you miss this one? http://www.sharp.com/
---------------------- to throw you a curve ball :)
this has so many levels, trademarks , reg date, usage and the "C" word.........cybersq..........
ipaustralia use dove v dove , dove chocolate v dove soap
then you have just a generic word.
surely its already hurting them for the past X years
not to different from the classic example of corporations, http://www.nissan.com/

tim

Rhythm

Top Contributor
auDA doesn't manage .com (ICANN) or TM (IP Australia)
Already policies and systems in place for cybersquatting (auDRP)

findtim

Top Contributor
ok, so let me clarify my comment, i meant............ does sharp actually care ?

and i thought you'd be more experienced then to start a thread with JUST an ambiguous word, "discuss" , we are not mind readers which was detailed by the very first reply to the thread by joel

throw me a BONE man !!!

if i looked up the definition of "discuss" in the dictionary i'm pretty sure it does say, " read rhythm's mind "

tim

snoopy

Top Contributor
I would say forget about the .net.au owner and given the name to the .com.au owner if they want it, the outcome will be right 99% of the time and wrong 1% of the time.

The only significant sites I have ever heard of in .net.au is abc.net.au (who own the .com.au) and whirlpool.net.au. In my view it is not worth having a policy geared towards the handful of significant .net.au sites (versus thousands of significant .com.au sites). If Sharp cared that much about their domain they would have bought sharp.com.au by now.

It would be a sad state of affairs if .net.au owners got hold of .au domains on mass because mostly .net.au is low quality sites and people who care little about their web presence.

findtim

Top Contributor
Who are you to decide what is right/wrong or significant or low quality?
he just told you ! everyone !
in the year 1999 i started looking into domain names, the ONLY thing i looked at was .com.au , not .net.au , i HONESTLY can not even remember that it existed when i was looking to start.
i got a name and built a business and then promoted it, my potential clients said " whats a website" ?

.net.au sucks , defensive registrations are just profit for others and not for you, and thats what .au will be.
Who are you to decide what is right/wrong or significant or low quality?
who are THEY to say whats right or wrong when they do not tell ALL possibly affected parties whats potentially occurring.
tim

Rhythm

Top Contributor
I think auDA represents all stakeholders. Not the views of a single individual.

It could be argued that the demand-siders (registrars mostly?) are responsible for informing clients.

I've informed everybody I know. What decisions they make is they're business.

Now come to think of it a lot of guys in my networks heard of it through the news.

Last edited:

findtim

Top Contributor
how on earth is it the registrars responsibility ? isn't auda the GOVERNING BODY ?

the registrars are not going to tell anyone as they want it to go through, THEN they will tell them.......... with a suggested invoice no doubt.
NOBODY i have talked to knows about this before i told them and i have seen nothing on the news, i don't watch the news but helena does and lets me know if something pops up about the internet.

do individual Coles stores create brochures about specials ? NO, head office does

tim

Rhythm

Top Contributor
I think auDA represents all stakeholders. Not the views of a single individual.

It could be argued that the demand-siders (registrars mostly?) are responsible for informing clients.

I've informed everybody I know. What decisions they make is their business.

Now come to think of it a lot of guys in my networks heard of it through the news.

*their

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member