What's new

nice day for drop

bunstar

Top Contributor
So out of curiosity, how do each of these catchers beat each other? Do they just have servers / software attempting to register repeatedly at the drop time to try and win it?
Is it as simple as that?

Lorenzo

Top Contributor
So out of curiosity, how do each of these catchers beat each other? Do they just have servers / software attempting to register repeatedly at the drop time to try and win it?
Is it as simple as that?

well...you are talking about milliseconds and for instance, many years ago, when .eu had its landrush I remember that Pool set up hundreds of Proxy Registrars just to get more resources.

enjoi

Top Contributor
Exciting to see that Drop has made a comeback!

ah...I remember they catched Forex.com.au some years ago, but I never used them.

Cheers

DomainWatch.com.au fell off the map when Drop.com.au came onto the scene.

And youre right - they did catch Forex.com.au along with hundreds of other generics!

neddy

Top Contributor
Well done Drop. The past weeks results have been great to see (from a competition point of view).

I know from chatting with you over the past year that you have never given up trying to get back into the game. Good on you. I hope it continues - we need two evenly matched players.

Fleur from Netfleet made the following comment in their own thread. Obviously it is a bit of a dig at you, but it would be good if you could respond so that we all know what's going on.

No wheels falling off at all - genuine competition is a great thing however it is worthwhile noting that each domain name caught by Netfleet is on behalf of an actual customer who is still the owner the next day....

Drop.com.au

Top Contributor
Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts in this thread. It’s encouraging to see positive results on Drop.com.au, but we don’t want to count our chickens just yet.

Fleur from Netfleet made the following comment in their own thread. Obviously it is a bit of a dig at you, but it would be good if you could respond so that we all know what's going on.

I did see that dig :rolleyes:. I didn’t think it merited a response, particularly as I don’t like posting in a competitors forum section (bad etiquette), but since Ned asked so nicely…

We have an exclusive agreement with a client to manage their portfolio which amongst other things includes domain acquisition – there’s been many posts about it, the most recent is here

Our client believes that bids on a competitive drop catching platform are a pretty good indication that a domain may have some potential value, so we try to catch them when there’s no customer bid on Drop.com.au. If on review a domain does not meet our client’s requirements, it is deleted during the grace period.

A side benefit of the above arrangement is that it also allows us to test our drop platform in a real world competitive environment. Clearly we need to be able to test whether we can catch domains that other drop catching platforms are also trying to catch.

It is worthwhile noting that the above strategy is not unique to Drop.com.au. This is what Netfleet were doing while testing their expired domains service - targeting Drop.com.au’s list for one of their customers and then deleting the ones he didn't want to keep.

It does seem a tad hypocritical to have a dig when we do the same thing.

Lastly, as a bit of general advice - both Ned and I have said this in the past -if you want to make sure you get a domain bid on both platforms.

Thanks for everybody's continued support.

Andrew

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members