What's new

landing vs 301redirect?

findtim

Top Contributor
i have a new client and the conversation went like " look, dubbodentist.com.au is good so lets go wit that for you" , he's then gone "well lets get dubbodentistS as well "
so i said ok, but now although i told him an emd is good but its not a guarentee you will rank number 1 on google he has come back to me with a list of 10 domains to register for him dentistdubbo, dubbochildrensdentist childrensdentistdubbo...... you get the drift.

so after politely telling him its a waste of money he says he doesn't care.

so the question is, 301 redirect them or create landing pages that then link to hi main website? time and $$ isn't his issue

i just want whats best for him in the long run, i am swaying to landing page

tim

James

Top Contributor
i have a new client and the conversation went like " look, dubbodentist.com.au is good so lets go wit that for you" , he's then gone "well lets get dubbodentistS as well "
so i said ok, but now although i told him an emd is good but its not a guarentee you will rank number 1 on google he has come back to me with a list of 10 domains to register for him dentistdubbo, dubbochildrensdentist childrensdentistdubbo...... you get the drift.

so after politely telling him its a waste of money he says he doesn't care.

so the question is, 301 redirect them or create landing pages that then link to hi main website? time and $$ isn't his issue

i just want whats best for him in the long run, i am swaying to landing page

tim

Tell him to build one site and make it great that is my advice to every one now, rather then starting 10 different sites and having them all rank, you can say to have ten sites ranking this is what is involved to get results in today's market:

It sounds he is keen "Multi-SERP" play, 2, 3, 4,5, 20 or more sites ranking for a specific set of similar keywords. Whilst doing this you can aim to bring in a larger percentage of revenue for a set of keywords.

In my eyes Google is really cracking down on this activity as they feel brands should have one site for one market ect. From what I have noticed a in recent times, sure a few years ago you could slap up any thing and get quick results from multiple sites, I know because I built 50 micro sites in one niche.

Some tips and areas they monitor for this type of activity, they have to tools and know how to pick up if sites are running with the same technology and "digital fingerprint"

1. Google accounts: does the website have numerous analytic’s or webmaster tools accounts linked via the website network?
2. Advertising code been the same: If the network of websites has similar advertising code such as Google Adwords or Amazon affiliate it can be spotted as been on the same network.
3. Outbound links: Are the outbound links on the website similar it can also show similar patterns.
4. Inbound links: Does the website have a similar pattern of inbound links?
5. Hosting & WHO IS details: Are the hosting details or who is details similar it can trigger a similar pattern. Very common failure is for a business to place all the information on one host.
6. Web design profile been similar: If the web design template is the same across sites it can show it is similar. This is a relatively new pick up by Google where they track this type of activity.
7. CMS elements been similar: If the website is on the same CMS it can trigger similarity.
8. Similar contact details across websites: Are the contact details similar on the website.
9. Social profiles on the website: Do you have Twitter and Facebook profiles which are similar across the websites?
10. Mail servers: Are the mail servers similar across websites?

Ok so you tell him all that and if he still wants the 10 sites I would just do 301 re directs to one main site, but watch doing too many re directs to a fresh domain/ site.

Just some ideas

findtim

Top Contributor
Tell him to build one site and make it great that is my advice to every one now, rather then starting 10 different sites and having them all rank, you can say to have ten sites ranking this is what is involved to get results in today's market:

It sounds he is keen "Multi-SERP" play, 2, 3, 4,5, 20 or more sites ranking for a specific set of similar keywords. Whilst doing this you can aim to bring in a larger percentage of revenue for a set of keywords.

In my eyes Google is really cracking down on this activity as they feel brands should have one site for one market ect. From what I have noticed a in recent times, sure a few years ago you could slap up any thing and get quick results from multiple sites, I know because I built 50 micro sites in one niche.

Some tips and areas they monitor for this type of activity, they have to tools and know how to pick up if sites are running with the same technology and "digital fingerprint"

1. Google accounts: does the website have numerous analytic’s or webmaster tools accounts linked via the website network?
2. Advertising code been the same: If the network of websites has similar advertising code such as Google Adwords or Amazon affiliate it can be spotted as been on the same network.
3. Outbound links: Are the outbound links on the website similar it can also show similar patterns.
4. Inbound links: Does the website have a similar pattern of inbound links?
5. Hosting & WHO IS details: Are the hosting details or who is details similar it can trigger a similar pattern. Very common failure is for a business to place all the information on one host.
6. Web design profile been similar: If the web design template is the same across sites it can show it is similar. This is a relatively new pick up by Google where they track this type of activity.
7. CMS elements been similar: If the website is on the same CMS it can trigger similarity.
8. Similar contact details across websites: Are the contact details similar on the website.
9. Social profiles on the website: Do you have Twitter and Facebook profiles which are similar across the websites?
10. Mail servers: Are the mail servers similar across websites?

Ok so you tell him all that and if he still wants the 10 sites I would just do 301 re directs to one main site, but watch doing too many re directs to a fresh domain/ site.

Just some ideas

yep, basically all the bad things above :eek:

however i don't think the 3 word domains are strong enough to have any 301 value as they could be a search term but not a url type i think.

i've got loadsssssss of content, and he uses traditional marketing in a country region so see how i go, his main site is a logical url so i am definately concerntrating on that.

thanks for the info james

tim

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads