What's new

How to acquire a domain that is in the reactivation period?

Donald

Hi

There is a domain I want that, looking at the whois info, is registered at Namecheap and currently in the reactivation period. What's the best (least expensive) way for me to try and acquire this domain once it comes out of the reactivation period, assuming the current domain owner doesn't reactivate it?

Thanks

Donald

I don't know how the process works because I'm new to this. If I'm the only person who places a bid, I get the domain, is that right?

chris

Top Contributor
I don't know how the process works because I'm new to this. If I'm the only person who places a bid, I get the domain, is that right?

Hi @Donald, it depends what the extension is, since some work a little differently. I assumed .com, I think @findtim .com.au. But yes you are spot on, if you are the successful bidder (or no other bidders) and the platform you've backordered on "catches the domain" then you get the domain. Most of these platforms work on a "no catch, no pay" deal, but you need to check this.

For .au, Drop and Netfleet are the best/only option. For .com, I have had some success with NameJet, SnapNames and Pool.

Here's a good detailed list for reference:

https://www.domainsherpa.com/domain-name-backorder-services/

Also, keep in mind that there are a lot of regular domain registrars that sell "backordering" services, that don't offer any actual drop catching. Stick with a drop catcher, that's what they do.

Hope you manage to get the name!

Donald

Thanks Chris. But I'm confused about whether I need to "backorder" the domain. Can't I just bid on the auction itself? The domain is listed on https://au.auctions.godaddy.com/

It is a .com domain that is currently registered with Namecheap (in the reactivation period). The auction is ending soon.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member