What's new

How do we get AuDa to open the door to the 21st Century?

shags38

Top Contributor
Most reading this will know how new I am to domaining and how I have gone like a bull at a gate with 3D domains ........... and how I have been less than a good listener. Well just like a good red wine I am maturing (real bloody quick after the better half has realized how much I have spent on a bunch of words and how much I have received in return ... ouch !!)

As part and parcel of me entering this like a bull at a gate I did not do any real homework ........ I had too many dollar signs in my line of sight to see properly.

My .AU 3D names - 480 odd of them - only yesterday did I become aware that I cannot sell them for 6 months !! (and no, I have not worked up the courage to tell the missus)...... WTF do AuDA think they are ?? (W = who). Surely it is a restriction of trade from a legal viewpoint - name me anything, anything else that you rightfully own lock stock and barrel that you are not permitted to sell.

I have seen a few posts in here in the past about AuDA but they didn't mean much to me because of the fact I had my head buried in the sand. The sand is irritating my eyes so I have pulled my head out and I am not a very happy camper I can tell you !!! WTF dictates to me whan I can sell something I own !!! I recall seein a post about paying $22 to become a member and then being entitled to vote at meetings - I will have to ferret around for it and do something about it.

WHO THE F**K do they think they are??!! Restriction of trade Jan.

In my opinion, here is one way that they are screwing up the business of a lot of domainers with the ABN bullshit policy. How many people out there do you think would actively get involved in AFFILIATE MARKETING if they could get a domain name without having to register as a business ????? ....... Gazzillions. In particular they will be at each end of the age and workforce scale - senior high school students and retirees. The former because they are internet / computer savvy and hungry for some money to buy a car or whatever but can't get a part time job at maccas or the local pizza shop because there aren't any left. They all have computers at home, and nowadays at school, many of them are "given" laptops. In the hours they are not studying, including certain hours at school, these 16,17,18 year olds could be setting up and maintaing a basic website, even a minisite to start with - hey as I said most are computer savvy and some are friggin geniuses so amongst their friends they will find someone who can help them with SEO.

The other end of the scale is the Retirees or those not far from that stage and out of work (like me) - many in both cases would either need or want to make some money and they have nothing but time, lots of it, time, time time to work on making affiliate marketing work. Most in this bracket would need a lot of help to get their site up and running and the occasional help in upgrading it. Many in this bracket would do it pretty much for the enjoyment and for something to get involved in as against like me wanting to be a biliongazillionaire.

NEITHER OF THESE SECTORS can do this with AU sites unless they register a business - bingo, like a smart targeted nuclear weapon 97.6% of the population in those categories have just been wiped out. Gerry Harvey is laughing his tits off !! :D a whole bunch of competition shackled by archaic regulations. So there is 97.6% of this population base we CANNOT SELL OUR DOMAINS TO !!!

Do I sound angry ???????

Read this book ... "How to stifle small business in an global economic environment that relies ever moreso on the fluidity of SME's".... author = AuDA.

I am sure that the ACCC would love to get their teeth into the legitamacy and moral validity of such a restriction of trade.

I am now too worked up to continue typing - someone else take over please.

Mike :mad:

Timmy

Banned
I personally love adDA, in fact, my demand-class membership was accepted today! YAY for me and YAY for auDA!

Shags, like everything, making mistakes sucks. But because you didn't read publicly available information doesn't make the process entirely wrong. In fact, without some regulation someone might have snapped up 479 of your names before you had the chance to get them!

Like all systems, nothing is perfect. First step to changing things would be becoming a member (note you need to wait 3 months til you can vote I just read). We all make mistakes, I have about 200 useless domains from when I got excited and had a hard-on for hyphens. Develop them, every domain with unique content has the potential to at least get you back your investment. Might take you six months, oh shit - then you could sell some :)

As for the requiring of an ABN, anyone can get an ABN. Takes 5 minutes on the ATO website and it's free.

djuqa

Top Contributor
so you didn't read the auDA policy on resale
Damn shame
tough tittie
Not auDAs fault.

BTW You agreed to the terms and conditions of registration when you bought them so you can't whinge.
Also if you own 480 Australian names and you want to make money by reselling them, it sounds like you are doing it for business reasons.

Join auDA
Become one of the group of domainers and web industry professionals that convinced them to change the NO resale at all policy which applied until a couple years ago.

declaration: DJU is a proud SUPPLY member of auDA

Last edited:

shags38

Top Contributor
ok - wrong again - I am going out now to buy a bugle ............ "last post" :)

bye all .......... it has been ......... well, it has been

cheers,
Mike

shags38

Top Contributor
I suppose I will respectfully decline this invitation

Hi Mike,This is Mawunyo here from SBS television's Insight program. I'm writing to you re. your posting on the Aussie Tycoon website. I was wondering if you'd like to have a chat over the phone as a potential guest of our show on the economy. We're planning to bring together business leaders, members of the community and politicians to discuss the current economic climate and your story struck me as just the kind we're looking for. Have you got a number I can contact you on?Thanks,Mawunyo Mawunyo Gbogbo | Associate ProducerInsight | News and Current AffairsSBS Television, Australia | 14 Herbert St, Artarmon NSW 2064t: + 61 2 9430 3632 | f: + 61 2 9437 5609 | m: + 61 430 067 370 e: mawunyo.gbogbo@sbs.com.au | w: www.sbs.com.au/insight

djuqa

Top Contributor
free ? since when ?
Since always!
The issue of an ABN has never been charged for. Do not confuse it with a company registration (ACN) which does have establishment fees.

Plus another point about the 6 month rule . It is TOTALLY against auDA's rules to register solely for the purpose of resale regardless of the period.

Domain registration PRIMARY purpose still remains as a website locator, not trade goods. Develop all 480 names, then when they don't make money you have legal cause to resell.

Last edited:

DavidL

Top Contributor
Most reading this will know how new I am to domaining and how I have gone like a bull at a gate with 3D domains ........... and how I have been less than a good listener. Well just like a good red wine I am maturing (real bloody quick after the better half has realized how much I have spent on a bunch of words and how much I have received in return ... ouch !!)

As part and parcel of me entering this like a bull at a gate I did not do any real homework ........ I had too many dollar signs in my line of sight to see properly.

My .AU 3D names - 480 odd of them - only yesterday did I become aware that I cannot sell them for 6 months !! (and no, I have not worked up the courage to tell the missus)...... WTF do AuDA think they are ?? (W = who). Surely it is a restriction of trade from a legal viewpoint - name me anything, anything else that you rightfully own lock stock and barrel that you are not permitted to sell.

I have seen a few posts in here in the past about AuDA but they didn't mean much to me because of the fact I had my head buried in the sand. The sand is irritating my eyes so I have pulled my head out and I am not a very happy camper I can tell you !!! WTF dictates to me whan I can sell something I own !!! I recall seein a post about paying $22 to become a member and then being entitled to vote at meetings - I will have to ferret around for it and do something about it.

WHO THE F**K do they think they are??!! Restriction of trade Jan.

In my opinion, here is one way that they are screwing up the business of a lot of domainers with the ABN bullshit policy. How many people out there do you think would actively get involved in AFFILIATE MARKETING if they could get a domain name without having to register as a business ????? ....... Gazzillions. In particular they will be at each end of the age and workforce scale - senior high school students and retirees. The former because they are internet / computer savvy and hungry for some money to buy a car or whatever but can't get a part time job at maccas or the local pizza shop because there aren't any left. They all have computers at home, and nowadays at school, many of them are "given" laptops. In the hours they are not studying, including certain hours at school, these 16,17,18 year olds could be setting up and maintaing a basic website, even a minisite to start with - hey as I said most are computer savvy and some are friggin geniuses so amongst their friends they will find someone who can help them with SEO.

The other end of the scale is the Retirees or those not far from that stage and out of work (like me) - many in both cases would either need or want to make some money and they have nothing but time, lots of it, time, time time to work on making affiliate marketing work. Most in this bracket would need a lot of help to get their site up and running and the occasional help in upgrading it. Many in this bracket would do it pretty much for the enjoyment and for something to get involved in as against like me wanting to be a biliongazillionaire.

NEITHER OF THESE SECTORS can do this with AU sites unless they register a business - bingo, like a smart targeted nuclear weapon 97.6% of the population in those categories have just been wiped out. Gerry Harvey is laughing his tits off !! :D a whole bunch of competition shackled by archaic regulations. So there is 97.6% of this population base we CANNOT SELL OUR DOMAINS TO !!!

Do I sound angry ???????

Read this book ... "How to stifle small business in an global economic environment that relies ever moreso on the fluidity of SME's".... author = AuDA.

I am sure that the ACCC would love to get their teeth into the legitamacy and moral validity of such a restriction of trade.

I am now too worked up to continue typing - someone else take over please.

Mike :mad:

First stop - join up so you can vote - http://www.auda.org.au/membership/membership-overview/

As a criterion for DNTrade membership, unless you are an auDA member, no whinging about auDA will be tolerated on the forum. If you are then it's open slather ;) (isn't that right soj?)

I don't like the 6 mths rule either I must admit. I think it was put there as a concession to the naysayers when the prohibition on trade was lifted but doesn't perform any really useful purpose as far as I can see.

As for the ABN restriction, it does serve to keep the au space Australian which has been good for it so far. But your point about retirees & schoolkids having to make do with .id.au's etc does have some merit.

Since always!
The issue of an ABN has never been charged for. Do not confuse it with a company registration (ACN) which does have establishment fees.

But to have an ABN, you need to establish a company though don't you?? That carries significant start-up and ongoing costs.

Lastly shags, don't quit DNTrade. I know you've copped some stick but I enjoy your posts and the reactions you get (yes even those where you have a go at Netfleet!!)

djuqa

Top Contributor
But to have an ABN, you need to establish a company though don't you?? That carries significant start-up and ongoing costs.
No you can be a sole trader and have an ABN.
If you do register a company (as little as $500), the company ACN is all that is needed to buy Domains anyway.

FirstPageResults

Top Contributor
School kids can get .id.au's without an ABN

WTF dictates to me whan I can sell something I own !!!

BTW, technically speaking you don't "own" anything.

From auDA's website:

There are no proprietary rights in a domain name. The registrant does not "own" their domain name. Instead, they have a licence to use the domain name for a specified period of time. Registrants can transfer (or "sell") their domain name licence to another person.

Timmy

Banned
I suppose I will respectfully decline this invitation

Hi Mike,This is Mawunyo here from SBS television's Insight program. I'm writing to you re. your posting on the Aussie Tycoon website. I was wondering if you'd like to have a chat over the phone as a potential guest of our show on the economy. We're planning to bring together business leaders, members of the community and politicians to discuss the current economic climate and your story struck me as just the kind we're looking for. Have you got a number I can contact you on?Thanks,Mawunyo Mawunyo Gbogbo | Associate ProducerInsight | News and Current AffairsSBS Television, Australia | 14 Herbert St, Artarmon NSW 2064t: + 61 2 9430 3632 | f: + 61 2 9437 5609 | m: + 61 430 067 370 e: mawunyo.gbogbo@sbs.com.au | w: www.sbs.com.au/insight

You could still go, just make sure you read their terms and conditions before you do - lol :)

Don't go Shags - you write questions, we each respond. I thought we were being constructive. Oh well.

WG2010

Archived Member
I didn't take you for a quitter shags. Yes, the rules need changing but moaning about them won't change anything where as taking action will.

One thing though, please don't go on Insight as someone who represents this or any other online community, it'd be a fucking disaster lol.

snoopy

Top Contributor
At the end of the day the system is what it is, you can either accept it or try to change it, there is no point whining about it.

As far as owning something "lock stock and barrel" and not being able to sell it for a certain point in time that happens in a lot of areas, eg restricted stock (company directors etc), many areas of intellectual property (eg try and resell that itunes song that you just downloaded), property (contracts preventing the resale of a lease), "non transferable" tickets (read the back of your train ticket). Even Mars wants to restrict me when I buy my fun size mars bars "not for individual resale".

Realistically the 6 month rule is not likely to change the outcome much, the chance of registering a domain and reselling it within 6 months is low in my view.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spacemo