What's new

Hello

Dean K

So I've just joined here and doing the right thing by saying hi first!

Have been involved in a few forums (not domain related) over many years and it's always good to see how members can help each other.

I do have a domain I want to sell soon so will be reading up on the posts here first and then posting more about it for some appraisal feedback.

I don't really consider myself a domain name trader. Over the years I've probably registered 50 or 60 names for various business needs -- going back to the days when they were no cost and Robert Elz did them manually before Melbourne IT existed. Have also had a .com or two from that same era about 1995, and have helped many hosting/design clients register names too. Nowadays I just host and manage a few (< 50) websites and domains in a very part-time manner.

Looking forward to reading more from everything shared in the posts.

Cheers, Dean

findtim

Top Contributor
welcome dean, your history sounds very interesting, i'd LOVE to know about those days as i only got involved in 2000-1 and even then didn't really know much.
i look forward to your posts and please pm me when you get a chance as i'd love to hear "the good ol days"

tim

DomainNames

Top Contributor
So I've just joined here and doing the right thing by saying hi first!

Have been involved in a few forums (not domain related) over many years and it's always good to see how members can help each other.

I do have a domain I want to sell soon so will be reading up on the posts here first and then posting more about it for some appraisal feedback.

I don't really consider myself a domain name trader. Over the years I've probably registered 50 or 60 names for various business needs -- going back to the days when they were no cost and Robert Elz did them manually before Melbourne IT existed. Have also had a .com or two from that same era about 1995, and have helped many hosting/design clients register names too. Nowadays I just host and manage a few (< 50) websites and domains in a very part-time manner.

Looking forward to reading more from everything shared in the posts.

Cheers, Dean

Welcome. Any regrets from not registering more names years ago? You could have beat a lot of people to some awesome highly valuable .com and .com.au names?

Dean K

Thanks for all of the messages!

Yes, the early days ... all the .com.au handled by Robert Elz at Melbourne Uni -- interesting times. I think the details were just emailed to Robert from memory. No registrar login pages to manage domains or anything like that -- I'm sure I had to send through nameserver info at the same time as the registration info. That's when my internet was running on dial-up and a 28.8K modem, not even 56K. You then waited until Robert did the next batch of names and got the okay back that it was all done. No cost, no Melbourne IT with their starting $140 fees. Not really considered a commercial money-maker at that point.

He was very gracious too when I discovered people had a lot of trouble spelling my 14-letter domain name correctly, so I changed it (without upsetting the apple cart) to a 2-letter name, even under the much stricter registration rules. About 22 years ago now so my memory is a little fuzzy!

Once Melbourne IT came along, it was quite a shock to go from $0 to $140, good thing I think that others like NetRegistry entered the scene.

I also recall one day driving in to Melbourne and registering a business name for a client (once we found the domain name available), and once we got home, going to submit the new name and finding someone else had registered the name that same day while I was out.

And yes, mid-1990's, in hindsight plenty of .com names could have been my digital real estate portfolio! Alas, not something I collected with that in mind.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member