What's new

Exact Match Search to Type In Ratio

Chris.C

Top Contributor
I was just wondering if there was any rule of thumb in the domaining world in regards to a ratio of exact match searches in Google to the number of times someone will type the domain in?

Basically I'm trying to work out if it is worth the time parking domains that only get a few hundred exact match searches a month.

Timmy

Banned
Been mixed views on aussie type in traffic on here in the past - personally I don't get a lot even with my premium names. Repeat visitors yes, but I doubt many organic first time type ins.

As always though, I would think that any basic site would do better than a parked page.

DomainNames

Top Contributor
one word generics always get good type ins, are the most brandable and thus most expensive. I have a mix of 1 and 2 word generics I also do ok with the two word names as type ins.

They only type in the .com.au and never the .net.au I have found from my stats of what I have. Thus I dont even bother with .net's anymore as investments. I pay more for better .com.au's and find it more fruitful financially

James

Top Contributor
I remember seeing stats a while ago saying that around 10% of internet users type in exact match domains over 90% of people using search engines, yet this was for very premium one word .com domains. Do not know how accurate that is??

snoopy

Top Contributor
Just taking one example because I have the data at hand:

1600 exact searches a month, 30 uniques in one year. Works out to 640:1

I remember seeing stats a while ago saying that around 10% of internet users type in exact match domains over 90% of people using search engines, yet this was for very premium one word .com domains. Do not know how accurate that is??

That is along way from being accurate.

James

Top Contributor
Yes I was referring to premium .com domains...

Loans.com
Banking.com
CreditCards.com
Shopping.com
news.com

Not something which has 1600 exact searches a month in the AU market...

snoopy

Top Contributor
Yes I was referring to premium .com domains...

Loans.com
Banking.com
CreditCards.com
Shopping.com
news.com

Not something which has 1600 exact searches a month in the AU market...

The problem with citing names like the above is that most of the time they will have been developed.

For the typical one word .com it is still nothing like 10% in my view, might get a figure like that on the odd domain, especially names with some element of spillover traffic if there is large sites on similar domains, eg if the name was matching.com versus match.com, planet.com versus theplanet.com etc.

Also the % will be higher for terms that are more brands rather than huge search terms eg stuff like find.com, egg.com or win.com, where the the term functions better as a domain that it does as a search term.

I think a more normal figure is 2%-3% for one word .com type names, this is just from what I have seen. Even then I don't think it is an "instead of" using a search engine, I think a smaller % of people do it in addition to using a search engine.

When it comes to figures like this a lot of what gets claimed in this industry is for the purpose of promotion rather than providing accurate information. People will read some stats about direct navigation and start leaving out a few words here and there and start taking things out of context until an argument is made that was never part of the actual report. So if someone is claiming 10% of people type in random domains instead of using a search engine it doesn't surprise me much.

Chris.C

Top Contributor
Thanks everyone for their feedback.

As always though, I would think that any basic site would do better than a parked page.
The problem is though can you put Google AdSense on a one page site, because if you have a number of domains and don't have time to develop them into something more substantial?

At least this would also give Google something to index and potentially rank.

Just taking one example because I have the data at hand -1600 exact searches a month, 30 uniques in one year. Works out to 640:1
Wow... well those aren't exactly encouraging. Makes me think the money really is in the development.

Timmy

Banned
- because if you have a number of domains and don't have time to develop them into something more substantial?

Cracks me up, everyone has an hour or two a day to talk shit on here :)

If you invest in a domain, develop it. Even a simple one-click install of wordpress with the default theme will get indexed. Outsource some article/content writing for $2-$5 per 500 words and get some initial content on there while you are developing 'something more substantial'.

You only need to add a privacy page and you're good for Adsense - just don't make it a banner farm.

snoopy

Top Contributor
Wow... well those aren't exactly encouraging. Makes me think the money really is in the development.

I think the market in Australia is too small to really do well from parking, it would need a portfolio of mega names to really make a go of it. Around 6-8 years ago I looked at .com.au a lot in terms of parking and the most popular search terms I could find, (the types of names that would get good traffic flow in .com) never really had much traffic. There was the very occasional winner but it wasn't worth the time spent on it. I agree with the above, the only way in my view to make money from it is development and resale.

snoopy

Top Contributor
The problem is though can you put Google AdSense on a one page site, because if you have a number of domains and don't have time to develop them into something more substantial?

At least this would also give Google something to index and potentially rank.

Is this really worthwhile? Would be choosing a couple of domains and focusing on those, not adsense stuff but thinking about what the people in Google are really searching for. If it is just adsense with content on it to hope for traffic it will never really get anywhere in my view.

Chris.C

Top Contributor
Cracks me up, everyone has an hour or two a day to talk shit on here :)
OK OK... so I got the "time" it's "aptitude" I lack aka I'm lazy!

:D

If you invest in a domain, develop it. Even a simple one-click install of wordpress with the default theme will get indexed. Outsource some article/content writing for $2-$5 per 500 words and get some initial content on there while you are developing 'something more substantial'.
Have you personally done this often before?

You only need to add a privacy page and you're good for Adsense - just don't make it a banner farm.
I thought you weren't allowed to place AdSense ads on sites that were under construction?

I think the market in Australia is too small to really do well from parking
Looks that way, but on the plus side the Australian market is so much easier to get rankings in - makes it the perfect market for development really.

:rolleyes:

Is this really worthwhile? Would be choosing a couple of domains and focusing on those, not adsense stuff but thinking about what the people in Google are really searching for. If it is just adsense with content on it to hope for traffic it will never really get anywhere in my view.
Why do you say this sort of development won't make money?

Surely if you can setup a 10 - 15 page site with an exact match domain that pulls in maybe 1000 or so visitors a month this would earn some reasonable dollars via AdSense (hopefully enough to cover the cost of construction over a 12 - 24 month period) with the real pay day coming if you can sell the site to a business that could leverage the traffic better than AdSense earnings. Thoughts?

snoopy

Top Contributor
Regarding getting stuff indexed, google will index pretty much anything with a couple of links into it. But what does that mean? what is of point putting something up just to get indexed. Unless it is producing meaningful traffic it is of no value.

Why do you say this sort of development won't make money?

Surely if you can setup a 10 - 15 page site with an exact match domain that pulls in maybe 1000 or so visitors a month this would earn some reasonable dollars via AdSense (hopefully enough to cover the cost of construction over a 12 - 24 month period) with the real pay day coming if you can sell the site to a business that could leverage the traffic better than AdSense earnings. Thoughts?

I didn't say it won't make money, the question is whether it is time well spent. If you say "hopefully enough to cover the cost of construction over a 12 - 24 month period" why bother with that? Aren't these kind of sites commonly for sale at around 6-12 months or less revenue anyway? So even if you value your time at $0 it is still a pretty bad deal if it takes 12 months+ to recoup costs.

Regarding the pay day down the road how often do you hear of a business buying somebody's mini site?

Chris.C

Top Contributor
Regarding getting stuff indexed, google will index pretty much anything with a couple of links into it. But what does that mean? what is of point putting something up just to get indexed. Unless it is producing meaningful traffic it is of no value.
But that's the point - the traffic itself is meaningful. Even if you yourself can't turn it into dollars often you can sell the traffic via advertising or sell the source of the traffic by selling the site itself - but the point at the end of the day is you are selling eyeballs.

I didn't say it won't make money, the question is whether it is time well spent. If you say "hopefully enough to cover the cost of construction over a 12 - 24 month period" why bother with that? Aren't these kind of sites commonly for sale at around 6-12 months or less revenue anyway? So even if you value your time at $0 it is still a pretty bad deal if it takes 12 months+ to recoup costs.
Firstly I don't value my time at $0. And 24 months is the very conservative game plan. Normally when it comes to site development I work on the premise if I don't think I can get the site to start producing a real profit within 12 months I don't invest. So that way you have a positive income producing asset at the end of 12 months if nothing else.

Also you tend to get 12 months revenue in regards to sale price when you sell to other domainers or developers whose ability to leverage the site traffic is essentially the same. Whereas if you sell to retail business seeing a physical product or service with their margins has the ability to leverage the traffic is normally many multiples of that of developer.

So I'm "hoping" that I'll ultimately be able to sell sites for closer to 24 - 36 months revenue and it still be a very good deal for the businesses.

Regarding the pay day down the road how often do you hear of a business buying somebody's mini site?
I know you don't hear of it very often, but that doesn't meant it doesn't make sense.

So often small to medium businesses go out hire a web design firm who sells them a story about all their great skills. They proceed to pay them somewhere between $2,000 - $20,000 depending on how many bells and whistles they buy and end up with a website that rarely ranks and the traffic it does receive doesn't convert because all the flash banners get in the way. Next thing you know the business has a $2,000/month AdWords budget to compensate.

Why wouldn't a business shell a couple of grand for a minisite that gets traffic for free, converts better and is simple to maintain?

Of course I'm sitting here with this theory completely untested.

I'm not saying it's an easy road, but my belief is if you can show someone the a investment that is virtually guaranteed to get them a return then why wouldn't they invest?

...but then again maybe I'm just too young and nieve to think just because the maths adds up that people would be rational.

:rolleyes:

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members