What's new

Drop dropped the ball?

johno69

Top Contributor
Today I bid on a domain on Drop. I knew it wouldn’t be too Hotly contested but for convenience I placed a bid and let the system do the work.

Anyway, 5 mins after the auction I went to confirm I had won it by doing the standard Whois, and it was freely available. So I went and hand registered it elsewhere successfully.

What happened there Drop?

I know I’m only talking pennies and not big money, but isn’t it automated ?

DomainNames

Top Contributor
Today I bid on a domain on Drop. I knew it wouldn’t be too Hotly contested but for convenience I placed a bid and let the system do the work.

Anyway, 5 mins after the auction I went to confirm I had won it by doing the standard Whois, and it was freely available. So I went and hand registered it elsewhere successfully.

Did you attend the PRP meetings and see their slides, presentation and suggestions about .au eligibility and cut off dates, how it affects drop catch names after April 2016 etc?

johno69

Top Contributor
No I didn’t attend. I didn’t buy this one with the sole purpose of obtaining the corresponding .au.

I can’t imagine anyone registering the .au anyway.

I bought it to use it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DomainNames

Top Contributor
No I didn’t attend. I didn’t buy this one with the sole purpose of obtaining the corresponding .au.

I can’t imagine anyone registering the .au anyway.

I bought it to use it.

Under the insane auDA PRP Suggestions they have been promoting around the country and on the radio etc no name registered or COR'd after 18 April 2016 is even eligible for the proposed competing additional .au domain name.

That means every name caught on the drop auctions after that date will NEVER be eligible to help qualify for the .au EVER they said!

How would this affect the aftermarket, new registrations and Drop Auctions if people knew this?

Now we have another late Friday fire extinguisher media release from auDA ... but still no actual answers to stabilise the chaos they have created!! https://www.auda.org.au/news/statem...boardman-regarding-the-policy-review-process/

Sorry but it is time the Government stepped in or we got a new CEO with some real domain name industry experience and willingness to listen to Demand concerns and experience.

Every auDA Demand Director is firmly against the .au. So where is the demand and real facts auDA is unable to provide when asked? ( Yes vote stacking surveys and emails done by Supply entities and people do not count as real demand or facts!)

Last edited:

johno69

Top Contributor
My point was ... nobody will care and I can’t see any issue with hand registering the .au when/if I should choose.

DomainNames

Top Contributor
My point was ... nobody will care and I can’t see any issue with hand registering the .au when/if I should choose.

You will not be eligible for the corresponding .au if your name was registered after that date and someone else had the .gov.au, .asn.au, .nsw.gov.au, .id.au, .net.au, .conf.au of it etc etc

This is why people flipped out after the PRP meeting and their suggestions....

It is not as easy as you can choose later... you can't if it is gone in other extensions... is their proposal.

This is why auDA must put the full audio and presentations on the auDA website for the public of every PRP meeting they held.

Oh they also want to look at suggesting
1. ban monetisation for all new registrations and grandfather old ones for 3 years.. Blank websites are ok. or a short period when you have to have it developed....Crazy...
2. Tighten eligibility rules for all extensions... increase red tape
3. etc

Last edited:

Scott7

Top Contributor
Did you attend the PRP meetings and see their slides, presentation and suggestions about .au eligibility and cut off dates, how it affects drop catch names after April 2016 etc?
This is unrelated to the point of Johno69's post. The PRP meetings are discussed in detail in other threads where the views of members are stated loud and clear.

While it is easy to try and justify a loose connection to the .au debate in almost any thread on a forum about Australian domain investing, doing so is unfair to members who post wishing to discuss something else.

DomainShield

Top Contributor

I will look into this tomorrow, we can and should do better to have a consistent service, even for the small ones.

Andrew Wright

Top Contributor
Noticed that DomainShield is using Yexa and Fabulous to register domains - does this mean that Drop, as an interface to bid on the drops, is now dead and that we should use DomainShield instead?

DomainShield

Top Contributor
We are working towards merging the two systems together and the goal is to consolidate them under the drop brand.
We are working slowly as operational stability (domain updates and renewals) and data integrity is a priority for us.
I have dedicated more resources to drop today so your uncontested purchases will still be covered until I can complete the upgrades and migrations necessary to merge them into one simplified system.

DomainShield

Top Contributor
We want to move back to having some excitement in the system so we are going to show the current bids and will aim to provide live results again too. The idea behind levels doubling up is quite popular and effective for domains up to $3.2K so we will probably still do that. Above $3.2K the next bid will only need to be at least 10% more than the current bid to allow a bit more flexibility/competition on those domains.

DomainShield

Top Contributor
Popular for who?
Early birds get the worms, they like it. Less buyers remorse too..
- Bid $400 two days before a domain drops and then watch it go for $600 at Netfleet. DS grabs it and you go home congratulating yourself.
- Bid $400 two days before, see it go for at least $800 and you go home telling yourself that at least someone paid way more than you wanted to.

DomainShield

Top Contributor
Plus there is zero chance of you having to worry about anyone shill bidding as there is no way for an auction house (or seller) to manipulate the price.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member