What's new

Direct AU's

Andrew Wright

Top Contributor
They're coming...

.au direct domain names – like getyour.au - will be available as a new option for Australian Internet users from March 2022. .au direct domain names – like getyour.au - are shorter, simpler domain names that will be available as a new option for Australian Internet users from 24 March 2022.

Bacon Farmer

Top Contributor
Congratulations auDA on stuffing up something that wasn't broken.

I look forward to the increase in spam, fake websites and general loss of confidence in all .au domains.

Congratulations to all those that sell domains that will now get an undeserved increase in sales by current .com.au owners protecting their reputations and against loss of traffic.

Commiserations to all current .com.au owners that will now be taxed for this disservice.

Erwin

Top Contributor
Having 3 businesses (and valuable domains tied to them) I would now need to register my interest & seek an application for direct .au (each registrar will implement their own $’s I’m assuming? What will those fee amount(s) be?
Then there’s the yearly ongoing application fee to maintain your interest in direct .au (should eligible applicants in category 1 not come to an agreement)

A shame new headaches are being created for “confusingly similar domain names”

James

Top Contributor
Does anyone know what the deal will be with buying .au domains will the current owners get first preference to buy/ protect your business name. It seems like another waste of money/ possible problem for business owners.

Callum

Isn't there something to do with the domain being over 10 years or something give you first dibs if you are the current owner? I recall something along those lines, could be wrong.

Fitness

What will happen with the current owners of "com.com.au" and "com.net.au", could either one be eligible for the shorter .au, or would this name be restricted?

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
What will happen with the current owners of "com.com.au" and "com.net.au", could either one be eligible for the shorter .au, or would this name be restricted?
Some feel because the .com.au is stronger it should go to them, me, I say the .net.au costs the same so should it be equal rights.

Shane

Top Contributor
I haven't posted on DNT for around 2 years, but figured I'd come back for this announcement given that it was such a massive issue back in the day, and is finally happening...

So many different opinions from different people in different domainer type groups. Some think it will hurt com.au values, some think it will help them, others think it's a non-event.

I'm probably in the latter group. I don't think much will change. I doubt it will hurt values, and I highly doubt it will increase values.

As for this idea that we should switch to .com to avoid the confusion... My little business that I started around the same time I joined DNT 11 years ago is now doing multi-millions in sales. I finally acquired our .com recently, but I have no plans to switch. com.au is still mighty strong and I don't expect that to change anytime soon.

Anyway, good to see the debate still raging after all these years! I hope you're all doing well. :)

trellian

Top Contributor
Hi All,

The price is the same as .com.au/.net.au registration fee, so I would assume all registrars will offer them at the same price. That is what we plan to do.

If there are 2 different owners of a com.au and any other extension, net.au. org.au edu.au, idn.au etc... that were registered before 4 FEBRUARY 2018 the cut off date, then those holders become Priority Category 1 holders.

From auda:
"
Cut-off Date 4 February 2018

The Cut off date in the prioritisation process remains as 4 February 2018

This is the date that the 2017 Policy Review Panel began its public consultations in relation to the
implementation of direct registration, and first publicly discussed the Panel’s views as to various
implementation models.

auDA undertook extensive public consultation on the cut off date in late 2019, and a clear
majority supported keeping the cut off date as 4 February 2018.

Priority category 1: Names with a creation date on or before 4 February 2018 at 23:59:59 (UTC)

Priority category 2: Names with a creation date after 4 February 2018 at 23:59:59 (UTC)

Where there are Category 1 and Category 2 applicants, Category 1 applicants have priority over
Category 2 applicants.

Where there are multiple Category 1 applicants, all Category 1 applicants must agree on the
allocation, otherwise the name remains unallocated.

Where there are only Category 2 applicants, the name is allocated to the applicant whose
domain licence has the earliest creation date in the central registry.
"

This means that if there are 2 or more Priority Category 1 applications, meaning that 2 or more have paid the application fee, which is like a yearly "registration" fee, the domain is locked and no one gets it.

The parties need to agree and all other parties needs to either remove their application or not renew next year at which point the other party gets the domain. If you do not agree and every year, 2 or more renew their application, again paying the same "registration" like fee the domain is locked again for another year.. etc...

For uncontested names they all open up on 20 SEPTEMBER 2022.

The amount of development work that Registrars need to do to support this is not great, and registrars like our group that do not charge our registrar clients high margins, we do not see how this will be viable for us.

Cheers
David

Last edited:

trellian

Top Contributor
Hi All,

Priority Category 1 is based on the "Create Date" which is not changed when a CoR is done. So yes confirming that CoR does not affect your claim for .au.

Cheers
David

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members