What's new

auDA threatening to Delete .com.au Domain Name

pc_gurru

I have registered 3 letter .com.au domain name approximately 6 years ago but just last week, I got email from auDA through my registrar for warranty check.

They have asked me to prove "close and substantial connection to this domain name"
since, domain name is 3 letters (pronounceable but not proper meaningful word), I have replied that we registered this for our future portal but I have received reply that response is not accepted and domain will be deleted after 14 days.

We are legit registered PTY LTD. business and domain acronym match related to our services.
Domain name is registered approximately 6 years ago.
We bought domain name from drop auction (netfleet) and paid premium price

just wondering if anyone has experience this or it is just random pick?
I know many companies, who hold more than 100 to 4000 domains and not all domains match with ""close and substantial connection policy" so why don't they go after them?
why after my domain?
is that mean, you can't register .com.au domain name other than your related business ABN and it is death of .au after market domain industry?

Looking for some feedback.

DomainNames

Top Contributor
See if the .com is available and message cameron.boardman@auda.org.au to update their auDA policy so they stop the stupid red tape which has hurt .com.au for so many years.
I see many .com.au's registered to auDA Directors not in use...Not even monetisation pages...

Scott7

Top Contributor
If the domain doesn't currently resolve, you could put up a landing page with text link ads related to the acronym. This would mean that you were using the domain for monetisation purposes, which is a legitimate use that complies with auDA policy.

It is quick and free to set up a monetisation landing page for your domain using a site such as Bodis.com

Simon Johnson

Top Contributor
pc_gurru. I'm an auDA Director and would like to hear more about your situation. Can you please send me a PM detailing the issue (specific domain names, correspondence etc. and I'll forward you through my contact details.

Joel

Top Contributor
Does the domain name resolve, ie, is there anything on the website for the domain?
Is it used for email?

snoopy

Top Contributor
I think what happens here usually is someone likes the domain and complains to AUDA, hoping to get it dropped. AUDA then goes in threatening deletion. The main party to benefit will be the drop catchers at the expense of registrants and it saps trust in the namespace.

If the domain doesn't currently resolve, you could put up a landing page with text link ads related to the acronym. This would mean that you were using the domain for monetisation purposes, which is a legitimate use that complies with auDA policy.

It is quick and free to set up a monetisation landing page for your domain using a site such as Bodis.com

How does this normally go with AUDA after the complaint has already started?

pc_gurru

pc_gurru. I'm an auDA Director and would like to hear more about your situation. Can you please send me a PM detailing the issue (specific domain names, correspondence etc. and I'll forward you through my contact details.
Thanks Simon, I am sending you PM right now.
appreciate your concern

Does the domain name resolve, ie, is there anything on the website for the domain?
Is it used for email?
Domain was on parking and clearly says, XYZ.COM.AU is parked at HOSTINGCOMPANY

See if the .com is available and message cameron.boardman@auda.org.au to update their auDA policy so they stop the stupid red tape which has hurt .com.au for so many years.
I see many .com.au's registered to auDA Directors not in use...Not even monetisation pages...
it is 3 letter pronounceable .AU so no chance even to get .com for less than $$$$

I think what happens here usually is someone likes the domain and complains to AUDA, hoping to get it dropped. AUDA then goes in threatening deletion. The main party to benefit will be the drop catchers at the expense of registrants and it saps trust in the namespace.
That's exactly, I am thinking
I have already spent $$$, bought from drop with premium price and hold it from last 6 years and acronym match with services we offer but auDA is not ready to accept my right to use this domain name. :(

Scott7

Top Contributor

You get time to respond after a complaint is lodged. By changing a non-resolving domain to one that complies with auDA policy there should be no further case to answer unless some of the links are deemed to not relate to the domain. Ned got a complaint about some of the links on a 3L.com.au lander not complying, so he created specific links using a Fabulous.com 2-click lander. See Domainer article here.

Joel

Top Contributor
Domain was on parking and clearly says, XYZ.COM.AU is parked at HOSTINGCOMPANY
Being parked doesn't automatically comply with auDA policy unfortunately. I would go down the route of developing the name with content related to your business and the domain, or implement a two-click lander as Scott suggested. Once your site complies with auDA policy, there is no case to answer.

pc_gurru

Hi Simon,
I am not allowed to send P-M. Already sent message to moderator and waiting for approval

Being parked doesn't automatically comply with auDA policy unfortunately. I would go down the route of developing the name with content related to your business and the domain, or implement a two-click lander as Scott suggested. Once your site complies with auDA policy, there is no case to answer.
I just realized now but I guess parking was the easiest option on that time.

Further, I have just noticed that domain status has been changed to "pendingDelete (Client requested policy delete)".
is this not apply to domain name that is deleted at the request of the registrant?
but I did not made such request :(

snoopy

Top Contributor
Hi Simon,
I am not allowed to send P-M. Already sent message to moderator and waiting for approval

I just realized now but I guess parking was the easiest option on that time.

Further, I have just noticed that domain status has been changed to "pendingDelete (Client requested policy delete)".
is this not apply to domain name that is deleted at the request of the registrant?
but I did not made such request :(

Try his email simon[remove] @ simonjohnson .co

Hope you can get this sorted asap.

findtim

Top Contributor
hi pc-gurru
i'd normally let this run as simon stepped in but i happen to know he is snowed under right now so please email me what you sent simon as well and i'll followup with simon.
tim at whitecollarwebsites dot com.au

note: this however is not proper process, at the very least i hope to point you in the right direction

tim

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member