What's new

1st .au site is live!

trellian

Top Contributor
.au is finally live, so quick shout out to our favourite place to get lunch Mr Beau in Beaumaris with their new short domain: http://mrbe.au

Although delegation of new .au domains are a manual process and not live instantly, new registrants need to wait a day to 3 days if over the weekend for their new sites to go live.
We have been told that the time to resolve this manual processing and get it automatic like every other extension is likely to be 3 months, but with hopes that it might be sooner...

djuqa

Top Contributor
Makes you wonder why not auto already, not a state secret that the release date was 24th march.

trellian

Top Contributor
Unexpected bug as reported on Domainer which gave auDA 2 options, delay launch for a few months or go live and process domains manually till they fixed the bug.

Since all the registrars had been doing a fair bit of marketing promoting the launch date, auDA considered going live with manual processing as their best option. So hopefully they get this fix live quickly.

trellian

Top Contributor
Some initial stats posted on domainer after 4 days:
61,542 new .au domains registered

But the even more worthy point is that 5,200 of these was for .au domains that did not have any prior extension registered.

That is a cool statistic and shows that there is a need for .au by end users that do not have an ABN/ACN.

Bacon Farmer

Top Contributor
Some initial stats posted on domainer after 4 days:
61,542 new .au domains registered

But the even more worthy point is that 5,200 of these was for .au domains that did not have any prior extension registered.

That is a cool statistic and shows that there is a need for .au by end users that do not have an ABN/ACN.
I read it as 90% of registrations are defensive and only 10% are brand new domains.

After 2 years notice this is the massive unmet demand?

What happened to the massive % of people, the surveys said, who would buy a .au if they could?

Bacon Farmer

Top Contributor
Did MrBe.au really need a "direct au" website because it seems to operate perfectly well via Facebook (number 1 for Mr Beau in Google) and taking orders via Menulog.

Won't they also need to get MrBeau.com.au to redirect to MrBe.au because it is confusing?

And whilst you don't need to be a business to get a .au domain it is.

Are you sure this isn't all done by you guys to promote .au domains?

Christopher

Top Contributor
None of my friends that have businesses have said they have the need for another domain, all their backlinks and customers know the .com.au so why do they need something different. I think the companies that have a three letter .com.au or .net.au would be happy with this, grabbing a .bmw.au etc would make sense, wouldn't it?

trellian

Top Contributor
Did MrBe.au really need a "direct au" website because it seems to operate perfectly well via Facebook (number 1 for Mr Beau in Google) and taking orders via Menulog.

Won't they also need to get MrBeau.com.au to redirect to MrBe.au because it is confusing?

And whilst you don't need to be a business to get a .au domain it is.

Are you sure this isn't all done by you guys to promote .au domains?
This is an example of a short URL to be used in social posts where character length matters, not really intended for their actual online location. But since they are having issues with their FB page... unable to correct the country from UK to Australia, FB will not let them for some reason... as a result it highlights the need for them to have a site that they have full control over and this gives them that.

jamesau

I think the companies that have a three letter .com.au or .net.au would be happy with this, grabbing a .bmw.au etc would make sense, wouldn't it?

I regret not going bigger on 3L .net.au.

I really think the shorter .au adds to the value of acronym domains.

Horshack

Top Contributor
I'm curious if anyone here has had to deal with a contested domain where everyone has decided to apply for the new shorter extension. It looks like I have one so far. Do you have to wait until September, does AUDA contact you or are you just left to do something about it yourself?

trellian

Top Contributor
Yes there are a few of our clients have now have contested domains applied for, in effect locking them for 12 months.
The framework around the tokens and their renewals are not fully clear or known as yet by the Registrars, we have not been provided any specifics on how this will work as yet... as to how or when these tokens can be renewed. All we know is that somewhere in 12 months time your tokens will expire and will need to be renewed for a further 1 year and up to 5 years.

And yes you need to resolve this with all the parties where each one needs to then submit a Decline form and as soon as you are the last one, your .au is then allocated.

Horshack

Top Contributor
Thanks for the responses. So if you sell your domain name to another contesting registrant does that automatically decline your application for the new shorter name or do you still have to decline the application even if you now don't own the contesting domain name?

trellian

Top Contributor
That depends if you have already claimed your token or not...

if you have paid and applied for your token rights, then you need to go and reject it via the auda site that they provide.

if you have not paid and applied for your toekn rights, then you do not need to do anything as the new owner will get these rights.

Kyle-K

I'm curious if anyone here has had to deal with a contested domain where everyone has decided to apply for the new shorter extension. It looks like I have one so far. Do you have to wait until September, does AUDA contact you or are you just left to do something about it yourself?
In a situation like this nothing will happen in September as all the other applicants have applied it's left up to you and the other applicants to sort it out among yourselves privately.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member